Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, March 25, 2013

Taking the 'Common' out of Common Core

The common core is everywhere! And in some States, it's not....anymore. For those of us that are still driven by the Common Core, posting those "I can" statements daily/weekly/permanently throughout our classrooms....how do you find ways to keep your classroom creative, fun, & hands-on, all while meeting those Common Core objectives?

Here's a few things that we've recently done in my classroom to keep our learning fun, fresh, and engaging! I thought I had a picture of this....but I can't seem to find it amongst the bazillion photos in my camera roll. So, imagine this.....a first grade classroom with a sand table? Yep--that's us! We often use it for math. Actually, it's not a sand table....but sand totes (the plastic rubbermaid ones). Since we live in Michigan where it still feels like the Arctic....we have laminated missing addend snowflakes buried in the sand. We call it Blizzard Beach. It's funny that none of my students found the mix of beach, summer, winter, & snow items all mixed together a bit odd----that's Michigan for ya! But it keeps sensory play in my classroom at the same time my students find missing addends. Using different totes for various levels of missing addend work keeps that station FUN & differentiated. I really need to grab a picture of that, but in the mean time, use your mental images, and look HERE.

Recently, it was the 120th day of school for my students. 1.NBT.1 says that students should count to 120 starting at any number less than 120. In this range, read and write numerals and represent a number of objects with a written numeral. So that we did! Not that we haven't been working on it all year----but because we HAVE been working so hard, we chose the 120th day to celebrate it!

We decorated our entrance to our classroom....and just in case anyone questioned the hustle & bustle, the giggles galore, and the multiple times the firsties broke out in tune ("Red Solo Cup....I fill you up..")

 Go ahead, I'll wait while you sing along...

....but just in case anyone questioned our day, I went ahead and posted my 1.NBT.1 objective right on our sign! 

Students decorated their own T-shirts----some were tallied, BeJewled, covered in buttons, painted, and more! Not one shirt was the same!



 And here.....you'll understand why Toby Keith is considering letting us cover his Kids Bop version of Red Solo Cup (wink, wink). There were multiple structures built throughout the day with 120 Red Solo cups. Cooperative learning, planning, and creating....I loved listening to their conversations, compromises, ideas, and minds at work!

Here's one child enjoying 120's day to the fullest....crown, 120 apple jack necklace, 120 pom-pom shirt....what's not to love about 1.NBT.1?! 


1.NBT.1 also helped my students satisfy their tastebuds by counting out 12 groups of 10 snack items to contribute to a trail mix. See? The Common Core is Y-U-M-M-Y! 

(Click the photo of the smarties above to get your own 1st Grade 120 Day fun!)

At this point in the year, if you are like me, you are finding the Common Core just another 'chore'. And when something becomes a little too chore-like....it means we need to spice it up! What fun ways do you put the paper/pencils down in order to take the 'Common' out of Common Core? 

@MiTeacherGirl





No comments:

Post a Comment